How to Use Nicotine Pouches: Step-By-Step
Nicotine pouches have become increasingly popular in the US, offering a smoke-free and spit-free alternative to traditional nicotine products for adult nicotine users. If you are wondering “what are nicotine pouches?” - Nicotine pouches are small, tea bag-like pouches that are designed to fit comfortably between the upper lip and gum and provide nicotine without the smoke or tobacco leaf. But how do you use nicotine pouches? Check out our full step by step guide on how to properly use nicotine pouches.
How to Use Nicotine Pouches: A Simple Step-by-Step Guide
Once you have a can of your favorite pouches, you are ready to learn how to use nicotine pouches properly. Here is a 4 step detailed guide to get you started.
1. Open the Can.
Are you curious about how to open snus or nicotine pouch cans? Most round cans require you to use your nail to break the seal. After that is done, you can open the can by squeezing the sides with your thumb and forefinger. Depending on the can, there may be different instructions, so you should always check the label for guidance on how to open the can. For example, the can On! pouches come in are opened differently.
2. Park the Nicotine Pouch Between Your Lip and Gum.
Once you have opened your can of nicotine pouches, remove a pouch from the can and pop it in your mouth. Where do you put nicotine pouches? There is no real “proper placement” - however, you should place then between either the upper lip and gum or lower lip and gum (NOTE: you should only use nicotine pouches orally).
3. Leave it Parked.
If you are new to nicotine pouches, even though you have used other nicotine products, we suggest you start with a pouch that has a lower nicotine content and only keep it in your mouth for 5-15 minutes. As you become more familiar with the pouches, you can extend the time you keep the pouch in your mouth to up to 30 minutes and adjust the nicotine strength as you like. If you produce excess saliva while the pouch is parked, you can swallow ZYN pouches spit or the spit from any other brand.
4. Remove the Pouch and Dispose of It.
Do you swallow nicotine pouches? No, you should not swallow a nicotine pouch. Once you're done with your nicotine pouch, it is important to remove it from your mouth and make sure you dispose of it responsibly. Some cans have a small container in top of the lid which you can use to store used pouches when there isn't a trash can nearby (this is usually called a catch lid). Since most of the actual pouch components are not recyclable, do not litter your used pouches. If you'd like to recycle the plastic can, ensure that all pouches are taken out first and check with your local county on where to recycle it.
How to Use Nicotine Pouches: Brand Specifics
Are there any differences on how to use nicotine pouches from different brands? We look at the top 3 brands on Northerner:
- How to Use ZYN Nicotine Pouches: Follow the step by step.
- How to Use Rogue Nicotine Pouches: Follow the step by step.
- How to Use VELO Nicotine Pouches: Follow the step by step.
Clearly, no matter which brand you use (whether you choose ZYN pouches, Rogue, VELO or any other nicotine pouch brand) the step by step instructions stay the same - the main differences will be in how you open the can or if there is a catch lid for storing your used pouch in.
Expert Tips for Using Nicotine Pouches
When using nicotine pouches, there are many tips and tricks to help you get by. Here are our top 3 final tips to keep in mind when using nicotine pouches:
1. DO NOT SWALLOW THE NICOTINE POUCH. You can swallow the spit, but NEVER swallow the pouch itself.
2. DO NOT OVERDO IT. If you are still unfamiliar with nicotine pouches, you may be wondering how many nicotine pouches to use a day. Deciding the number of pouches you can use in a day depends on your tolerance to nicotine, so there is no one number in this case. The most important thing will be that you make sure to monitor your usage and make sure to not overuse your pouches. Should you start to feel dizzy or nauseous while using nicotine pouches, you may have had too much nicotine and you should remove the pouch. If you feel more severe side effects, please contact your local healthcare facility.
3. MIND YOUR MANNERS. This one is super important - Never spit or litter your nicotine pouches, especially in public. Spitting is rude and annoying to those around you, as is littering. Always dispose of the pouches responsibly in the catch lid or in a trash can if you have one handy.
Choosing the Right Nicotine Pouch
One of the biggest choices that can impact your experience when learning how to use nicotine pouches are the nicotine pouches you choose. With so many options out there, it can be hard to narrow down your options - so here are the areas to look at when choosing a nicotine pouch:
- Nicotine Strength. How strong do you want your pouch to be? It is always better to start with a less intense nicotine strength and go up as needed, rather than the other way around!
- Flavour. When choosing a flavour, look at what options you have in your nicotine strength of choice, and choose a flavour similar to ones you know you like in other products (i.e. if you don't like a cola flavoured product, maybe swerve the cola flavoured nicotine pouches).
- Brand. Each brand has different experiences, so keep this in mind when choosing a product. Consider trying a range of products from different brands when trying to find the right pouch in the beginning (a mixpack is a great way to do this at a good price!) or try some of the best nicotine pouches on Northerner (as rated by Northerner customers).
How to Use Nicotine Pouches FAQ
- It can vary, however on average Northerner nicotine pouch users report most nicotine pouches last between 20 to 40 minutes.
- Nicotine pouches work orally: the nicotine is absorbed through the lining of your mouth into the bloodstream.