Differences between Swedish snus & nicotine pouches
Ever wondered what the differences between Swedish snus and nicotine pouches are? You are certainly not the only one. But don´t worry, we will sort things out for you.
Swedish Snus vs. Nicotine Pouches
Actually, in many ways, the nicotine pouch is a lot similar to the traditional Swedish snus, both in texture and in format. However, the significant difference is that nicotine pouches do not contain any tobacco. Tobacco is the main ingredient in snus, where the nicotine occurs naturally in the leaves of the tobacco plant (Nicotania tabacum). The concentration of nicotine in tobacco leaves varies in a range from 0.5 to 7.5% depending on the variety.
Nicotine pouches, on the other hand does not contain any part of the tobacco plant. Instead, the nicotine is extracted from the tobacco plant, and then crystalized into nicotine salt. This means that nicotine pouches (tobacco free snus) are completely tobacco-free.
What is Snus?
Swedish snus is a moist, spit-free ground tobacco product that was developed from dry nasal snuff in the early 1800s. It is used by placing it between the top lip and the gums, where the nicotine is absorbed through the oral mucosa.
The snus is made by processing finely ground tobacco with saline solution and sodium carbonate, then pasteurizing it in a heating process. The product is then cooled down and other ingredients, such as aroma and flavourings are added. Common flavours are for example bergamot, juniper, whisky, mint and liquorice.
Snus comes in two main varieties:
- - Loose snus (lössnus in Swedish) – The original type of snus. A moist powder or paste that is portioned, pressed molded into a cylindrical or spherical shape with the fingertips or a purpose-made device.
- - Portion snus (portionssnus in Swedish) – Here the moist tobacco powder in pre-packaged in individual sachets similar to tiny teabags. It is considered more discreet and convenient to use compared to loose snus, and is therefore prefered by most snus users today.
What are Nicotine Pouches?
But while tobacco is the main ingredient in snus, nicotine pouches contain no parts or traces of the tobacco plant and is therefore both smoke and tobacco-free.
Instead of tobacco, the pouch is often filled other natural plant fibres, water, salt, sweeteners and flavourings such as peppermint and various kinds of fruits. The nicotine is either synthetic or extracted as a nicotine salt from the tobacco plant.
Nicotine Pouches vs. Snus
5 characteristics that set nicotine pouches apart from snus are:
- Nicotine Pouches are completely tobacco-free
- Typically, the nicotine pouch is white and drier compared to snus, causing less dripping
- Nicotine Pouches do not stain your teeth
- Nicotine Pouches has a longer shelf life
- Nicotine pouches come in plenty of different brands, flavours, strengths and sizes
Where to Buy Nicotine Pouches
Please feel free to browse our nicotine pouches page to all the pouches we are offering.